Saturday, December 6, 2008

Weekend Beer Review!

I think I have mentioned that I was going to take a sabbatical from this as it really isn't a healthy hobby. That said I have approximately a dozen beers to review. I guess I forgot to look up sabbatical in the dictionary.

1) Great Divide - Hibernation Ale. This is an English Style Old Ale....I like this style. It is very malty and robust, very drinkable (what the hell does that mean?)

2) Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine 15% ABV - Not sure if this was what to buy if I wanted to take a sabbatical. I probably should have used a shot glass rather than a pint glass for this monster. This beer is deceivingly smooth.

3) Augustijn Ale - ABV 8% I really like these Belgian Ales. I am certainly enjoying this one! What sabbatical!

4) Southern Tier Brewing - Imperial Choklat Stout - 11% ABV. I am a real fan of this brewery and I really like this one. I would never have thought that chocolate and beer would work, but it really does. This is the first one I have had that rivals Brooklyn Brewery's Chocolate Stout.

5) Konigshoeven - Quadrupel Trappist Ale - Why the hell did I ever waste my time drinking Bud? This is outrageous just for the taste! Not sure what Quadrupel means (other than 4) Really want to hear Adam's thoughts on this as he is a regular beer cave contributor!

6) Hopack Brewery - Very hoppy offering - Import.....USA beers are better!

2 comments:

Adam said...

Olde School has long been a fave of mine (...and ya gotta love the Jon Langford art on the label).
Konigshoven (aka La Trappe) has the distinction of being the only Trappist brewery outside of Belgium.Here's a link on the style with some fine examples.Some of my favortes fall into this category, but I must say that I believe that I prefer the original(pre-2003?)Three Philosophers over the ones since(blended w/ lambic).The vintage one is worth seeking out.They should have cellared well.

Jimmy said...

I think I am going to get a Rochefort 10 this weekend