Saturday, September 20, 2008

Weekend Beer Review!

Just got back from the second to last game ever at Yankee Stadium. It was my last game there. Great game which I will get into in some subsequent posts, but I want to gather my thoughts on the closing of Yankee Stadium. I also have a special posting for Matt which will come on Friday. That said, I'm thirsty!

1) La Goudale - This is a French Blonde Ale. After fully expecting the beer to surrender I really have to say I enjoyed it. Crisp and flavorful. 7.8% ABV doesn't hurt either.

2) Samaels Oak Aged Ale - Avery Brewing Co. - 14.9% ABV. Ok I am assuming that this is supposed to be unfiltered! This ain't low carb by any stretch but is very tasty. The label says it was bottled 4/07. I have never seen this before and wonder if it is released as it ages. Perhaps Adam can opine. By the way, Adam is going to have to do me a favor and forward a picture I took to Alfred.

3) Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse - Liked the French beer above, this is awful. Imports generally suck. Kinda like the import we have from Illinois running for President. I better watch it, the thought police might come after me.

4) Fort Collins Brewery - DoppelBock - Thank God (or Obama) to get back to an American beer! This is apparently released every fall. This is a great steak and potato's beer. There appears to be a lot of craft brewing going on in Colrado. Did Ireland secretly move there!

5) Imperial Extra Pale Ale - Southern Tier Brewing CoVery good beer despite too many instructions on how to drink the beer on the label!

6) Old Dubh - Harviestoun Brewers Ale Matured in Whiskey Casks. Import from Scotland, very good 8% ABV. They have the head brewer listed on the label as well as someone with the title "Master of Wood". Can't make this stuff up.

1 comment:

Adam said...

In response to your query (re aging),It's actually quite common.Many beers are bottle conditioned, they are bottled after the primary fermentation and allowed to further mature in the bottle(or cask/keg).Sometimes these brews are aged at the brewery for later release.Sometimes you're best to cellar a young vintage on your own for later consumption. The above link explains it pretty thoroughly,and in a way that's easy to understand.