Starting early today. I have no hopes of a walk today so what the hell! Picked up some interesting treats this week including one that I am learning about from my beer Yoda - Adam! That said I am starting off relative easily and am going to ramp up this bad boy like a Toyota accelerator!
1) Strangford Lough - St. Patrick's Best Ale - 4.2% - Not sure to put this as a domestic or import as this is brewed in Rochester (DRINK) from Irish ingredients. Hell it's my blog & my liver so I am calling it an import. Very nice English bitter. I get wary about things with the St. Patrick's label (or other Irish things) but this is good. I got a friend request on Facebook from the US rep for this beer and accepted it. That's why I bought this and I'm glad I did.
Time to hit the gas pedal!
2) Stone Brewing - Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 11.1% - Saw this at Mo's last weekend. I know I have had this but it wasn't on my reviewed list so hey fair game. Was over at the beer room at Whole Foods on the Bowery and picked up a 2009 vintage. The one at Mo's was 2010 so thanks to Whole Foods for aging one for me. Thick pour rich copper color...Very mild given the ABV. Think I am going to get a 2010 one to go with the 2009 for a vertical in about a year or two! Or....when their new Russian Imperial Stout comes out I can make one hell of a black & tan!
3) North Coast Brewing - Brother Thelonius - Belgian style Abbey Ale - I hate it when brewery's make me spell big names like this....but this is a great brew. I had two mildly disappointing dubbels last week. This fills in nicely!
4) Mikkeller - Amarillo Single Hop IPA - 6.9% - This reminds me of a good west coast IPA in that the hops have that noice citrus flavor. Very nice beer. They have other single hop versions that I am going to give a try. By the way e-mailed the brewer and got a response back. I think I have a problem!
5) Stoudts - Fat Dog - Imperial Oatmeal Stout -9.0% - Not sure why I haven't tried this brewer before as it is reasonably plentiful in CT. Went to an event at the Tiger last Wednesday where their beers were featured and had their barleywine. This is a very sweet stout. Almost a milk stout except for the ABV. This is a very good beer and I look forward to trying some more of their offerings!
6) Hoppin Frog - Barrel Aged Boris the Crusher - 9.4% - I've had the regular version now the barrel aged version! Very good beer. I like the extra bite from the Bourbon barrels. Hopefully Hop Dam comes east soon.
7) Geary's - Imperial IPA - 8.2% - Too malty. Not that good