Saturday, October 25, 2008

Weekend Beer Review!

Went to Half Time Beverage in Poughkeepsie NY. Well worth the drive from Bridgeport. Based on what I bought I may not survive the night. Here goes:

1) Original Schlenkerla Rauchbier - 5.2% ABV. I figured I would start off easy. This is a smokey beer similar to the Fort Collins Z I tried a few weeks back. German import (duh!). Very good and smokey. The Fort Collins Z compared well with this authentic German Import. Gotta love those Germans!

2) Grand Teton Brewing Co. Sweetgrass 20th Anniversary Double IPA Bottle Conditioned 7.5% ABV. The label says Sweetgrass is a region north of Yellowstone National Park. Thank God I was reasonably sober when I opened this as for some insane reason the top was sealed by wax. Serviceable IPA. Nothing special.

3) La Binchoise - Artisan Amber Ale. 9% ABV - Very Smooth ale...heading for another Belgian.....

4) Urthel Hopit - ABV 9.5% - Brewer is Hildegard van Ostaden. This is very good. Belgium meets IPA. Looking forward to pursuing this brand!

5) Brasserie des Geants - Goliath 9% ABV Belgian Blond Ale - Very good light & drinkable!

6) Others tried - Arcadia Ales Hopmouth Double IPA,Left Hand Brewing Company Double IPA, Brother David's Double Abbey Style Ale,Stone Vertical Epic Ale and Victory Storm King Stout.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I've never really been too into the rauchbiers.TOO smoky, like when you grab one of those morning-after, leftover keg cups that someone had used to extinguish their cigarette.