Friday, November 2, 2007

Paul W. Tibbets, 1915-2007

Matt links to this story on the passing of General Tibbets. Matt & I went up to see the General speak several years ago and purchased pictures and books that the General signed. We knew not to ask him to sign a baseball. I'll leave that story to Matt.

The NY Post in its editorial page today states the following:

"The six decades since have brought about much moralistic hand wringing and academic revisionism all designed to rewrite history and declare America guilty of a horrendous war crime"

Tibbets response in a 1995 PBS Documentary (also from the NY Post):

"I wanted to do everything I could to subdue Japan. I wanted to kill the bastards. It would have been morally wrong if we'd had that weapon and not used it and let a million people die"

"I didn't bomb Pearl Harbor - I didn't start the war. But I was going to finish it."

Rest in Peace.

No comments: