Monday, September 24, 2007

A good Sunday

Yesterday, attended the 3rd annual New Haven Count Cutters Chili cook-off to support the efforts of Swanny. While he did not win a prize, all his Chili was gone before anyone else's so I think he probably won the stomach vote.

Got to walk on historic Yale Field. Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig played there, and an assistant coach at some small midwestern college actually coached there and got trounced by Yale. I am talking about Knute Rockne, who can't be happy with the Irish these days. Matt takes some museum quality photos which can be found here.

After that went to Toby Keith in Hartford. It was my first country concert and I had to say I really enjoyed it. There were two opening acts. The first was a band called Flynnville Train from Indiana. They were kind of a cross between Jason & the Scorchers, Uncle Tupelo & Lynyrd Skynyrd. I bought their CD and will post a review shortly.

The second act was Miranda Lambert, who for a small lady really had a kick-ass voice and a real cranked up band.

The crowd was obviously there to see Toby though and I had to stand throughout the concert. I had some real drunk idiot next to me who kept elbowing me all the time (I remember my first beer too). I was surprised as the show was really rocking and the band was great. Toby brought some soldiers on stage who just returned from Iraq & the crowd gave those guys a great hand (which was good to see regardless of any one's views on the war). I felt weird though as everyone sang along with all of his songs and I only knew a few. Anyway, if he comes back I would probably go again.

No comments: